Real love requires time, work, sacrifice, selflessness…and the Holy Spirit of God (“The fruit of the Spirit is love….”). It’s this real love that we experience from the Lord; however, we often demonstrate it sparingly to those we count closest to us. We receive this love in abundance, and yet we tend to give such love slowly — after much evaluation. The average man or woman will believe themselves to be more loveable than others, but the truth is…none of us were very lovable when Jesus showed His love for us!
Think about it as you read these verses of scripture:
- Isaiah 59:2 — “your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you,”
- Eccl. 7:20 – “For there is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not”
- Romans 3:23 – “For all have sinned and come short the glory of God.”
- Romans 5:12 – “Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:…
- Romans 5:19 – “For as by one man’s disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.”
- Romans 8:7-8 – “Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.”
That’s right…we were at “enmity against God” and in that position He gave His only begotten Son to shed His blood to cover MY sins! Take a moment to marvel at the love of God for you…
1. HIS LOVE for me does not change; in fact, the Lord could not love me any less…or any more…than He does right now. Jeremiah 31:3
2. HIS LOVE for me is not reciprocal to my personal “greatness.” God loved me when I was a sinner. Romans 5:8
4. HIS LOVE is not selfish. God sent His only Son, Jesus Christ, to take judgement for my sin — that would be judgment that I deserved! John 3:16-18
5. HIS LOVE for me is not full of bitterness and unforgiveness (even with all my own repeated rebellion against Him!). In fact, He is always — I mean ALWAYS — ready to forgive me when I ask Him. Ephesians 4:32; I John 1:9
…and this is how I am to love those about me! “A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.” John 13:34-35 God loved…loves me! What keeps me from loving others around me?