Distinctives: We believe in the following biblical doctrines. When these are grouped together they are often referred to as the “Baptist Distinctives.” They are:
- Sole authority of Scripture (II Tim. 3:16)
- Necessity of a regenerate church membership (Acts 2:41)
- Eternal security of the believer (Jn. 10:28; Phil. 1:6; II Tim. 1:12)
- Autonomy of the local church (Acts 15:25-26; Titus 1:5)
- Priesthood of the believer and soul liberty ( I Pet. 2:5, 9; Rm. 10:13; Rm. 14:12)
- Two ordinances of the church (Matt. 28:19; Acts 2:41; I Cor. 11:24-25)
- Two officers of the church: pastor and deacon (Acts. 6:1-7; I Tim. 3:1-13; Titus 1:6-9)
- Separation of Church and State (Matt. 22:21)
Grace Baptist Church is Distinctively Fundamental. The name “Fundamental” has come to mean many things to people due to references like “Islamic Fundamentalists.” Historically the term was used to describe groups of believers who held to the “fundamentals” of the faith (such as the Deity of Christ, or the Virgin Birth…) as opposed to the “liberals” who denied some or all of the fundamentals.
The label “Fundamental” has come to describe those who will take a strong stand on all the truths of God’s Word and who evidence that by the following:
- An unwavering defense of the Word of God
- A proclamation of the Word of God
- And lives that faithfully live the truths of the Word of God
Grace Baptist Church is Independent. Grace Baptist Church of Marshfield is Independent. We are not affiliated, in any way, with a denomination or headquarters. GBC is autonomous; meaning “self-governing.” Our governing document is the Bible; which is our only rule of faith and practice. Our church constitution states how we will govern ourselves and our Church Covenant and Articles of faith state our Biblical beliefs.
GBC is associated with the WFBC. The WFBC is a group of nearly 100 independent Baptist churches throughout the state of Wisconsin organized for mutual fellowship and ministry. The WFBC is not “over” GBC. It exists to help churches fulfill the responsibility of evangelism, starting churches, and helping churches of like belief throughout Wisconsin. The WFBC is voluntarily supported by GBC as a missionary organization. GBC participates in the annual meeting of the WFBC each September.
Grace Baptist Church is not “Charismatic.” We believe that the biblical gift of tongues was the instantaneous, supernatural ability to speak in known foreign languages as a sign authenticating the message and the messengers of the gospel. We believe that the gift of tongues, along with other miraculous gifts, prophecy and healing, ceased to function with the completion of the written Word of God and the death of the Apostles.